The Merchant: Gaekju
The Complete Korean Series [5-Disc]
- Drama: The Merchant: Gaekju 2015 (English title) / God of Commerce: Gaekju 2015 (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Jangsaui Sin – Gaekju 2015
- Hangul: 장사의 신-객주 2015
- Director: Kim Jong-Sun
- Writer: Kim Joo-Young (novel), Jung Sung-Hee
- Network: KBS2
- Episodes: 41
- Release Date: September 23, 2015 – February 18, 2016
- Runtime: Weds. & Thurs. 21:55
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Chun Bong-Sam’s (Jang Hyuk) father was a respected leader of the Chunga Gaekju. Since Chun Bong-Sam was little, he followed his father and members of the Chunga Gaekju to buy and sell items nationwide, but he lost his father at the age of 8. His father was framed for opium possession and was executed. Chun Bong-Sam’s older sister then left him to exact revenge on those that framed their father.
Chun Bong-Sam enters a place which trains kids to become peddlers. 10 years later, he meets Jo Sung-Joon (Kim Myung-Soo) who admired his father. Jo Sung-Joon talks to him about money and how his father was a leader in commerce. Since then, Chun Bong-Sam stands up against the biggest merchants, Shin Suk-Joo (Lee Deok-Hwa) and Gil So-Gae (Yu Oh-Seong), who will do anything for money. Chun Bong-Sam strives to become the wealthiest and most respected merchant.
- Takes over the KBS2 Wed. & Thu. 21:55 time slot previously occupied by “Assembly” and will be followed by “Descendants of the Sun” February, 2016.
- Based on the novel “Gaekju” by Kim Joo-Young (published from June, 1979 to February, 1983 in daily newspaper The Seoul Shinmun).
- Korean title “Gaekju” literally translates to “Broker” or “Commission Merchant.” The word “Gaekju” was used during the Joseon Dynasty period and has not been used in the present days.
- First script reading took place July 18, 2015 at KBS Annex Broadcasting Station in Yeouido, South Korea. The first script reading took place for more than 13 hours.
|Jang Hyuk||Yu Oh-Seong||Kim Min-Jung||Han Chae-Ah|
|Chun Bong-Sam||Gil So-Gae||Mae-Wol||Jo So-Sa|
|Jung Tae-Woo||Mun Ka-Young||Park Eun-Hye||Lim Hyung-Joon||Kim Myung-Soo|
|Sun-Dol||Wol-Yi||Chun So-Rye||Oh Deuk-Gae||Jo Sung-Joon|
|Park Sang-Myeon||Yang Jeong-A||Kim Il-Woo||Kim Kyu-Cheol||Kim Hak-Cheol|
|Song Man-Chi||Bang-Geum||Maeng Goo-Bum||Kim Bo-Hyun||Kim Hak-Joon|
|Lim Ho||Lee Deok-Hwa|
|Min Kyung-Ho||Shin Suk-Joo|
Additional Cast Members:
- Ryu Dam – Gom-Bae
- Song Young-Jae – Mung-Gae
- Suh Ji-Hee – Chun So-Rye (young)
- Lee Doll-Hyung – Choi Dol